tisdag 17 februari 2015

Top 10 greatest films of all time

1. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

The movie that made me fall in love with movies. If I had not seen Stanley Kubrick's controversial cult classic at the time of my life that I did, I would probably not have become the person I am today, for better or worse. Beautiful cinematography, Malcolm McDowell's performance, haunting music, amazing design, unforgettable dialogue - there are no flaws in A Clockwork Orange. In fact, I love the film so much I can barely stand to watch it anymore, for fear of wearing it out.




2. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Hunter S. Thompson is one of my favourite writers and in my opinion, one of the greatest minds that ever lived. Terry Gilliam's adaptation of his most famous novel is the perfect tribute to the sheer mad genius of the man. I wish I could erase my memory every time I see it so that I can see it again for the first time, because nothing beats that first-time experience of the total psychedelic trip called Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.





3. The Big Lebowski (1998)

To me, no other comedy manages to be this funny and genuine at the same time. Comedies are usually good for a laugh or two, but rarely if ever do they make the lasting impact that the Coen brothers' cult classic has managed to do. The fact that a proper religion, Dudeism, has sprung up over the years, and that there is a festival entirely devoted to The Big Lebowski speaks for itself. Also, utterly quotable, but that's just like my opinion, man.





4. Dead Man (1995)

The most philosophical and poetic western ever made, much thanks to Jim Jarmusch's direction. Highly enjoyable thanks to an interesting cast and Neil Young's cool music, the best he ever wrote if you ask me. Most of the films on this list have made a huge impression on me because they came at a time when I was more impressionable, which I think is applicable for anyone that has personal favourites in any field of interest.





5. Oldboy (2003)

I love Oldboy so much and it is also the last film that ever really wowed me. Maybe I've simply become too sated by my movie-watching, but I feel like no film will ever hit me the same way again (although Gaspar Noé's 'Irreversible' came pretty close). Oldboy really has it all, it's funny, tragic, gruesome and beautiful in its own way, and a good example of how extraordinary Asian cinema really can be if it wants to.





6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Tim Burton's greatest achievement is in equal parts Danny Elfman's film, because it wouldn't be half the experience it is without his songs. I've always been a bit of a goth, I just didn't realize it until I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas.








7. The Blues Brothers (1980)


Perhaps one of the most important parts of my childhood. I would even dress up as Jake. I still love wearing black suits and whenever I think of John Belushi, I still get a little pang in my heart, all thanks to this film. One of the funniest movies ever made, yet so much more than just a comedy. And somehow it never gets old either.







8. Blade Runner (1982)

It takes being in a certain mindset or mood to properly and thoroughly enjoy Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic, because it is so hypnotic and dreamy. Much of that is thanks to Vangelis' music, but the cinematography and production design also helps. Also, I really like Harrison Ford like this, all moody and quiet. When it comes to dystopian films, something I'm very fond of, Blade Runner is the granddaddy of them all.





9. The General (1920)


Buster Keaton's best film is also one of the best films of the whole silent era of cinema. Severely underrated, The General is so much more than mere slapstick. It is a powerful piece of American history and storytelling. Many versions of the film exists, the best one in my mind will always be the one that features music from the Civil War era.






10. Naked (1993)


A truly painful movie, but I can never be depressed by acting and directing of this calibre. Even more amazing when you know that Naked, like all of Mike Leigh's films, had no script, and that the brilliant wit and insightfulness came from the actors themselves. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar